Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel

When a young boy named Garth Hale accidentally gets transported to the afterlife, a ghostcatcher must retrieve him - with the help of his ex-fiancee, who just so happens to be a ghost. From Doug TenNapel, the creator of Earthworm Jim, this is Ghostopolis.

I went into this full-color graphic novel thinking it might been good for comic book enthusiasts who enjoyed films like Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters, and I was right. I must say, though, that I wanted more information about Garth's condition (it is revealed early in the volume that he has an incurable disease, which is never named) and the powers he later acquires. I'm all for finding the inner strength you never knew you had as well as developing superpowers; I just want to know more about the earning and acquisition.

Since this book was published through Scholastic's Graphix imprint, I thought the target audience would be kids, but I think that the storyline between Frank Gallows and Claire Voyant, the aptly-named ghost hunter and his hauntingly beautiful ex-fiance, will attract adult readers as well. More folks will certainly seek out this graphic novel when the movie version of Ghostopolis - which producer Hugh Jackman will star in - comes out.

For another story about a living kid who accidentally gets into the land of the dead, check out the May Bird Trilogy by Jodi Lynn Anderson - and adults seeking the same simply must try The Ferryman by Christopher Golden, an amazing story about a woman who crosses paths with Charon.

No comments :